Agenda and draft minutes

West Devon Overview and Scrutiny Committee - Tuesday, 23rd April, 2024 2.00 pm

Venue: Chamber - Kilworthy Park. View directions

Contact: Email: Democratic.Services@swdevon.gov.uk 

Items
No. Item

*O&S 32/23

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

*O&S 32/23   

There were no apologies for absence

*O&S 33/23

Confirmation of Minutes pdf icon PDF 312 KB

Minutes of the meeting of 13 February 2024;

Minutes:

*O&S 33/23   

The minutes of the Meeting of the Overview and Scrutiny Committee held on 13 February 2024 were confirmed as a true and correct record.

Items arising from the minutes –

        The dome at Meadowlands was confirmed as being cleaned in March.

        Devon Building Control Manager to give a further written update and be brought back to the next meeting

*O&S 34/23

Declarations of Interest

In accordance with the Code of Conduct, Members are invited to declare any Disclosable Pecuniary Interests, Other Registerable Interests and Non-Registerable Interests including the nature and extent of such interests they may have in any items to be considered at this meeting;

Minutes:

*O&S 34/23   

There were no declarations of interest

*O&S 35/23

Public Forum pdf icon PDF 10 KB

A period of up to 15 minutes is available to deal with issues raised by the public.        

Minutes:

*O&S 35/23   

The Chairman confirmed that no formal requests had been received in accordance with the Overview and Scrutiny Procedure Rules

*O&S 36/23

Waste and Recycling Services Update pdf icon PDF 161 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

*O&S 36/23   

 The Lead Hub Member introduced the report to Members.

 

During the presentation the following points were covered.

        The target of 80 missed bins per 1000,000 collections was on target.

        Bulky waste collections would in the future be recorded as how many items are collected rather than as per collection in the stats.

        Replacing vehicles with electric ones posed a problem due to the infrastructure in West Devon. The cost of an electric vehicle is about three times the cost of a diesel vehicle. However, FCC will be trialling an electric recycling vehicle in the near future. To electrify the depot would incur charges of around £500k. The range of travel for recyclers would be around 100 miles before needing to be recharged.

        The waste working group would be looking at a different material/style for garden waste containers.

        £500k is put into the forward plan each year.

        Waste composition analysis carried out in West Devon showed that 26% of waste in a black bin was food waste. 3% was steel.

 

 

It was then RESOLVED that:

 

The Committee RECOGNISED:

 

1.      The performance of the waste and recycling service over the last 12 months.

2.      The presentation provided from the contractor’s representative on performance.

3.      The work being undertaken to drive forward continuous improvement of the service.

*O&S 37/23

LiveWest - Presentation and Update

Minutes:

*O&S 37/23 

The Lead Hub Member introduced the update to the Committee after which the Executive Director of Development and Investment at Livewest gave a presentation. In that presentation reference was made to:

 

        Livewest owned more than 40,000 homes across Devon, Cornwall and Somerset and the West of England. In West Devon there were 1855 low-cost rental homes of which 60 were shared ownership

        £100m + was spend on existing homes per year.

        £200m + was spent on new homes per year.

        39.5M was spend on void homes per year.

        To reach the Decent Homes Standard 70 kitchens and 50 bathrooms are updated per year.

        The approach to disposals - Future investment is disproportionately high compared to the return over the long run. A prolonged difficulty to relet. Disposals has increased since 2020.

 

 

In discussion the Director of Development and Investment for Livewest Stated that money from disposals was being spent in West Devon, however In regard to replacing property in rural areas, it was with the help from the local authority to identify schemes and Livewest would work together with the authority. The Director said he would find out what checks were made on property which had S157 covenants and feed back to the Committee. He explained that the volume of opportunities to build new homes that come through the planning system would mean, as a larger organisation they would pick the larger sites. He said the West Devon Housing Offer initiative was a real positive in increasing the supply of affordable housing.

 

In response to a Member question, he explained that Livewest would not put batteries in any of their homes for renewable energy. This was due to fire risk and as a regulated social housing provided, they would be deemed as putting tenants at risk. He would come back to the committee to give the number of Livewest homes in West Devon with photovoltaic panels.

The Head of Housing said there were around 600 people in housing need currently in West Devon and she would give a link to the data to the when the minutes are published.

https://www.devonhomechoice.com/useful-information-2

(quarterly monitoring is at the bottom of the page on the link).

 

The Head of Housing will let Members have more information on how allocated sites for affordable accommodation are progressed to stop them becoming open marker homes.

It was then RESOLVED that:

 

The Committee NOTED the update.

*O&S 38/23

Key Performance Indicators April 2023 – March 2024 pdf icon PDF 131 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

*O&S 38/23   

 The Lead Hub member introduced the report to the Committee Members. A Member queried who decided on the new KPI ‘s. The Assistant Director of Strategy and Organisational Development said Officers had listened to the new intake of Members during previous considerations of the KPI’s and had also removed those that do not add any value to consideration of performance. An example of this is Temporary Events Notices – where  performance is always 100%.

 

He also added that narratives can be added to areas to explain a little more detail on certain items. 

He gave an example of a question being raised at the Audit and Governance Committee about food premises inspections and how the Council performs and this one had been added a new KPI.

He added that performance is monitored regularly through a range of boards, such as the Board.

A Member queried the Planning KPI’s in regard to the number of applications determined in the timescale.

This query would be referred to the Director of Strategy and Governance for a response.

The Director of Customer Services and Delivery explained to the Committee that at each Overview and Scrutiny Meeting in the next municipal year the Committee will review each Council Priority from the Council Plan.

Each Lead Member will be invited to a meeting to explain where the Council is in delivering in each area.

It was debated whether to discuss the revised suite of KPI’s at the Advisory Group or to set up a Task and Finish Group.

It was decided that a Task & Finish Group would be set up. Cllrs Elliott, Mann, West and Cunningham volunteered to be on the Group. Their findings would be presented to the Resources Advisory Group prior to it being brought back to Committee.

It was then RESOLVED that:

 

The Overview and Scrutiny Committee:

1.       Noted the Key Performance Indicators for April 2023 – March 2034

2.      Agreed to set up a Task and Finish Group to look at the revised suite of Key Performance Indicators as set out in Appendix A which were to have been implemented from 1st April 2024

 

The Assistant Director of Strategy and Organisational Development updated the Committee on the vacancy of Wildlife Warden Co-Ordinator. The post had been advertised and interviews were taking place on 30 April.

*O&S 39/23

Task & Finish Group Updates (if any)

Minutes:

*O&S 39/23

The SWW Task & Finish Group would be meeting with an Officer from SWW to form a Working Group.

 

The Fusion Task & Finish Group were to meet with the Principal Assets Officer and the Senior Leisure Contracts Officer to discuss parking fees.

The Group would visit the Leisure Centres prior to the summer holidays.

The findings would be taken through the Resources Advisory Group prior to being brought back to Committee.

 

A suggestion was brought to set up a Task & Finish Group for Okehampton Railway Station.

The Director of Customer Services and Delivery suggested that updates will be given to the Overview and Scrutiny Committee as part of the Council Plan delivery update.

He would give an update to Members via email as to whether this would be happening and then the Committee could make a decision whether to form a Task & Finish Group at the next meeting.

*O&S 40/23

2024/25 Committee Annual Work Programme pdf icon PDF 96 KB

Minutes:

*O&S 40/23 

One Lead Member would be addressing the Committee on a specific theme and giving updates at each Overview and Scrutiny meeting. The new workplan will be agreed at the next meeting.