Agenda and draft minutes

South Hams Council
Thursday, 23rd September, 2021 2.00 pm

Venue: Chamber - Kilworthy Park. View directions

Contact: Email: Democratic.Services@swdevon.gov.uk 

Items
No. Item

41/21

Minutes pdf icon PDF 154 KB

to approve as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Council held on 15 July 2021;

Minutes:

41/21                 

The minutes of the Council meeting held on 15 July 2021 were confirmed as a true and correct record.

 

 

42/21

Declarations of Interest

Members are invited to declare any personal; or disclosable pecuniary interests, including the nature and extent of such interests they may have in any items to be considered at this meeting;

Minutes:

42/21               

Members were invited to declare any interests in the items of business to be considered during the course of the meeting, but there were none made.

 

43/21

Business Brought Forward by the Chairman

to consider business (if any) brought forward by the Chairman;

Minutes:

43/21               

Due to the nature of the agenda for this meeting, the Chairman advised that it was his intention to exercise his discretion to amend the order of the published agenda so that agenda item 10: ‘Reports of Bodies’ would be considered after agenda item 7: ‘Question on Notice’.

 

Secondly, the Chairman confirmed that he would be enforcing Meeting Procedure Rules 8.3(b): ‘A period of 45 minutes will be set aside at each meeting to debate ‘Notices of Motion’’ and 15.4(b): ‘No speech may exceed three minutes without the consent of the Chairman of Council’.

 

44/21

'Better Lives For All' Plan pdf icon PDF 116 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

44/21               

Consideration was given to a report that summarised the responses to the public consultation exercise and recommended the subsequent adoption of the ‘Better Lives for All’ Strategy.  In addition, the report also set out the resource requirements that were required to deliver the Plan that supported the Strategy.

 

During her introduction, the Leader made particular reference to:-

 

-        her pride at the outcome of the draft Strategy;

-        her thanks for the work of lead officers and Members to reach this point;

-        the draft Strategy being ambitious but fully costed;

-        the consultation response received from Devon County Council (DCC) informing that the draft Strategy was very closely aligned to the equivalent plan being developed by DCC.  The Leader felt this to be very encouraging; and

-        performance management being a key aspect of the draft Strategy.

 

In discussion, the following points were raised:-

 

(a)    Some Members highlighted the importance of the Council now beginning to deliver on the detail contained within the Strategy and thematic delivery plans;

 

(b)    A number of Member echoed the introductory comments of the Leader and put on record their thanks to both lead officers and lead Members for achieving both an excellent draft Strategy and underpinning thematic delivery plans.  Furthermore, the design and layout were also commended;

 

(c)    As a word of caution, a Member was of the view that the documents were heavily focused on the towns within the district and there was a consequent need to add greater emphasis to the local villages of the South Hams.  In response, the view was acknowledged and it was emphasised that, as a series of evolving documents, this would be addressed.

                       

It was then:

                                          

RESOLVED

 

1.      That the results of the consultation on the draft ‘Better Lives for All’ Strategy be noted;

 

2.      That the ‘Better Lives for All’ Strategy and the thematic delivery plans be adopted;

 

3.      That the allocation of existing funding (as set out in paragraph 7.2 of the published agenda report) be noted; and

 

4.      That the additional £110,000 of cost pressures for 2022/23 and 2023/24 be approved.

 

45/21

Public Question Time pdf icon PDF 31 KB

Minutes:

45/21               

The Chairman informed the Meeting that no Public Questions had been received for consideration at this Meeting.

46/21

Questions

to consider the following question(s) received (if any) from Members in accordance with Council Procedure Rule 8:

 

Minutes:

46/21               

It was noted that no Questions on Notice had been received in accordance with Council Procedure Rule 8:

 

 

47/21

Reports of Bodies - to receive and as many be necessary approve the minutes and recommendations of the under mentioned Bodies pdf icon PDF 167 KB

* Indicates minutes containing recommendations to Council

Additional documents:

Minutes:

47/21               

 

RESOLVED

 

That the minutes and recommendations of the undermentioned bodies be received and approved subject to any amendments listed below:-

 

(a)    Development Management Committee – 23 June 2021

 

(b)   Licensing Committee – 30 June 2021

 

(c)    Audit Committee – 1 July 2021

 

(d)   Overview & Scrutiny Committee – 1 July 2021

 

(e)    Overview & Scrutiny Committee – 22 July 2021

 

(f)     Development Management Committee – 28 July 2021

 

(g)   Audit Committee – 2 September 2021

 

(h)   Executive – 9 September 2021

 

(i)     Executive – 16 September 2021

 

E.37/21: Delivery of Electric Charging Points in Council Car Parks

 

RESOLVED

 

1.      That a Collaboration Agreement be entered into with the Devon and Torbay Residential Chargepoint Scheme for the installation of Electric Vehicle Charging Points;

 

2.      That the potential site locations (as listed in paragraph 1.3 of the published agenda report) be approved for the installation of Electric Vehicle Charging Points; and

 

3.      That a lease be entered into with the appointed supplier for a ten-year period.

 

E.39/21: Medium Term Financial Strategy 2022/23 to 2024/25

 

RESOLVED

 

That Council:

 

1.      sets the strategic intention to raise Council Tax by the maximum allowed in any given year, without triggering a Council Tax Referendum, to endeavour to continue to deliver services.  (NB. the actual Council Tax for any given year will be decided by the Council in the preceding February);

 

2.      adopts the principle of using funding in the Business Rates Retention Reserve to smooth out the anticipated volatility in Business Rates income over the next three years (as set out in section 3.19 of the published agenda report).  The volatility is due to the business rates baseline reset anticipated in 2023/24 (this will result in the Council having a negative Revenue Support Grant) and the predicted loss of Business Rates pooling gain at the same time.  It is recommended that funding held in the Business Rates Retention Reserve is retained for the purpose of smoothing out the business rates volatility / negative revenue support grant and should not be used for unrelated purposes, other than commitments already made or as part of one-off funding for the Corporate Strategy, for at least the next three years;

 

3.      continues to respond to Government consultations on Business Rates Reform;

 

4.      continues to actively lobby and engage with the Government, Devon MPs, South West Councils and other sector bodies such as the District Councils’ Network and the Rural Services Network, for a realistic business rates baseline to be set for the Council for 2023 onwards, when the business rates reset happens;

 

5.      continues to lobby in support of the Government eliminating Negative Revenue Support Grant in 2022/23 (and thereafter) and continue to lobby for Rural Services Delivery Grant allocations which adequately reflect the cost of rural service provision; and

 

6.      notes the forecast budget gap for 2022/23 of £79,587 (0.8% of the current Net Budget of £9.68 million) and the position for future years be noted.

 

E.41/21: Capital Programme Monitoring

 

RESOLVED

 

That the overspend of £31,816 on the Dartmouth Ferry  ...  view the full minutes text for item 47/21

48/21

Notice of Motion

to consider the following motions received in accordance with Council Procedure Rule 10.1

 

a.      From Cllr Pearce and Cllr Bastone

 

“In response to the almost complete lack of any rented accommodation available for six months or longer that local people and those working in the area can access, and the excessive rise in house prices locally due to second home-owners and those moving in from other areas since the pandemic, which has made house prices completely inaccessible for the great majority of local people, South Hams District Council resolves to declare a Housing Crisis.

 

It is fortunate that we have a new Housing 5 year Housing Strategy and Housing Actions in Better Lives for All, but as an expansion of them South Hams District Council should:

 

1     Lobby government through our MPs and the LGA to allow council tax to be charged on plots with planning permission after a determined period, even if they haven’t been built out, so that developers are encouraged to build out sites without delay.

 

2     Lobby government through our MPs and the LGA to review the regulation of holiday accommodation, to ensure all holiday accommodation is suitably regulated and made subject to local planning policies and taxes.  We should also appeal for an extension to the 90-day short term let legislation to be extended outside London and lobby MHCLG for a separate planning class for short term lets and a proper licensing system to cater for them..

 

3     Institute an immediate thorough review by the council of all holiday lettings in the District, including, but not restricted to, whether they have planning permission, whether they are paying council tax or business rates, as appropriate, for the accommodation, whether they comply with safety regulations, and to ensure they are paying appropriately for waste disposal.

 

4     Ask the JLP Team to review the thresholds and percentages of affordable housing on sites, and whether it would be appropriate at the Plan Revision to increase these so that the percentage of First Homes imposed by the government becomes in addition to the present 30% affordable homes rather than part of it.

 

5     Promote regular Landlord Forums and run a further campaign to publicise the advantages to landlords of Seamoor Lettings.

 

6     Work closely with our main Registered Providers to ensure best occupancy of stock, so that where tenants are prepared to downsize, not only are they given a priority banding to be able to access a smaller property but support to help them move available.

 

7     Use some of the affordable housing reserve to increase payments made to anyone downsizing to help make moving more attractive and affordable.

 

8     Use any Section 106 affordable housing contributions as soon as possible to help fund developments anywhere in the District where the terms of the Section 106 Agreement permit this.

 

9     Campaign for changes to the Broad Market Area to better reflect the costs of rents in the South Hams.

 

10.  Promote the development of an exemplar site of low carbon  ...  view the full agenda text for item 48/21

Minutes:

48/21               

It was noted that six Motions on Notice had been received in accordance with Council Procedure Rule 10.1:

 

(a)    By Cllrs Pearce and Bastone

 

“In response to the almost complete lack of any rented accommodation available for six months or longer that local people and those working in the area can access, and the excessive rise in house prices locally due to second home-owners and those moving in from other areas since the pandemic, which has made house prices completely inaccessible for the great majority of local people, South Hams District Council resolves to declare a Housing Crisis.

 

It is fortunate that we have a new Housing 5 year Housing Strategy and Housing Actions in Better Lives for All, but as an expansion of them South Hams District Council should:

 

1     Lobby government through our MPs and the LGA to allow council tax to be charged on plots with planning permission after a determined period, even if they haven’t been built out, so that developers are encouraged to build out sites without delay.

 

2     Lobby government through our MPs and the LGA to review the regulation of holiday accommodation, to ensure all holiday accommodation is suitably regulated and made subject to local planning policies and taxes.  We should also appeal for an extension to the 90-day short term let legislation to be extended outside London and lobby MHCLG for a separate planning class for short term lets and a proper licensing system to cater for them.

 

3     Institute an immediate thorough review by the council of all holiday lettings in the District, including, but not restricted to, whether they have planning permission, whether they are paying council tax or business rates, as appropriate, for the accommodation, whether they comply with safety regulations, and to ensure they are paying appropriately for waste disposal.

 

4     Ask the JLP Team to review the thresholds and percentages of affordable housing on sites, and whether it would be appropriate at the Plan Revision to increase these so that the percentage of First Homes imposed by the government becomes in addition to the present 30% affordable homes rather than part of it.

 

5     Promote regular Landlord Forums and run a further campaign to publicise the advantages to landlords of Seamoor Lettings.

 

6     Work closely with our main Registered Providers to ensure best occupancy of stock, so that where tenants are prepared to downsize, not only are they given a priority banding to be able to access a smaller property but support to help them move available.

 

7     Use some of the affordable housing reserve to increase payments made to anyone downsizing to help make moving more attractive and affordable.

 

8     Use any Section 106 affordable housing contributions as soon as possible to help fund developments anywhere in the District where the terms of the Section 106 Agreement permit this.

 

9     Campaign for changes to the Broad Market Area to better reflect the costs of rents in the South Hams.

 

10.  Promote the development of an  ...  view the full minutes text for item 48/21