Venue: Repton Room - Follaton House. View directions
Contact: Janice Young Specialist- Democratic Services 01803 861105
To approve as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 15 December 2021;
The minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 16th December 2021 were confirmed as a correct record by the Committee.
Declarations of Interest
Members are invited to declare any personal or disclosable pecuniary interests, including the nature and extent of such interests they may have in any items to be considered at this meeting;
Members and officers were invited to declare any interests in the items of business to be considered and the following were made:
Cllr B Taylor declared an Other Registerable Interest in application 0942/21/FUL (Minute DM.48/21 (b) below refer), as he was a Member of the South Devon AONB Partnership Committee. The Member remained in the meeting and took part in the debate and vote thereon;
The Chairman to advise the Committee on any requests received from members of the public to address the meeting;
The Chairman noted the list of members of the public, Town and Parish Council representatives, and Ward Members who had registered their wish to speak at the meeting.
To see Letters of Representation and further supplementary information relating to any of the Applications on the agenda, please select the following link and enter the relevant Planning Reference number: http://apps.southhams.gov.uk/PlanningSearchMVC/
The Committee considered the details of the planning applications prepared by the Planning Case Officers as presented in the agenda papers, and considered also the comments of Town and Parish Councils, together with other representations received, which were listed within the presented agenda reports, and RESOLVED that:
6a) 2369/21/FUL “Land opposite Lyndale”, Onslow Rd, Salcombe
Town: Salcombe Town Council
Development: Proposed residential development of two detached dwellings on vacant land. (Revised scheme of application 3262/18/FUL).
This application had been deferred before the start of the Committee meeting.
6b) 0942/21/FUL The Thatches, Thurlestone, TQ7 3NJ
Parish: Salcombe Parish Council
Development: Replacement detached garage/store.
Case Officer Update:
It was confirmed that the site was outside the boundary of the Neighbourhood Plan area for Thurlestone, but was within the boundaries of both the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) and Heritage Coastal Area (HCA). Although the building was considered to be worthy of local heritage status, the Heritage Specialist had confirmed that it did not meet the criteria necessary to attain Non Designated Heritage Asset (NDHA) status. It was also confirmed that there was nothing to stop the current owners demolishing the building if they so wished. An outbuilding there had established the principle for a replacement outbuilding. It was confirmed that the Heritage Specialist had made a suggestion to record the building photographically before demolishing as the building was an example from the first wave of incomers coming into the South Hams area with increased car travel in the 1930s.
Speakers included: Supporter – Mr M Fairbrass (statement read); Parish – Cllr S Crowther; Ward Members – Cllrs M Long and J Pearce.
Recommendation: Conditional Approval
Committee decision: Conditional Approval
1. Time limit
2. In accordance with approved plans
3. Details of weatherboarding material for walls and roof materials to be agreed prior to installation on building;
4. The frame for the window on the south-west elevation and the door on the south-east elevation shall be constructed of hardwood;
5. Prior to commencement on site including any demolition or earthworks Tree Protection Plan to be submitted and agreed.
6. No external lighting on the building or site unless first agreed in writing by LPA prior to installation;
7. Removal of permitted development rights for insertion of windows, glazed doors and roof lights on building;
8. Recommendations of ecology report to be followed including the provision of bat and bird boxes as set out in the report.
9. The building shall only be used as a private garage/store and shall not be used, let, leased, or otherwise disposed of, for any other purpose including for commercial use.
10. Surface water disposal to be provided by means of connection to soakaway to BRE Digest 365 standard prior to first use of the replacement garage/store
11. Recording of building to be demolished.
6c) 3705/21/FUL Land at SX 633555, Ermington Road, Ivybridge
Town: Ivybridge Town Council
Development: Change of use of land from storage to lorry parking in ... view the full minutes text for item DM.48/21
Members noted the list of appeals as outlined in the presented agenda report. In so doing, reference was made to a recent certificate of lawfulness appeal in Dartmouth, which had been decided in the Council’s favour. Full costs had been awarded by the Inspector despite the Council having not applied for them. The Chairman reiterated that the Council should advertise that full costs had been awarded on this appeal to possibly impact on the number of speculative appeals in the future, and that the Council should apply for costs more frequently. The Lawyer confirmed that, following recent comments from Committee Members, costs had been sought on more appeals, where appropriate.
The list of undetermined major applications was noted.