Venue: Cary Room - Follaton House
Contact: Email: Member.Services@swdevon.gov.uk
Appointment of Chairman
That Cllr May be appointed Chairman for the duration of the meeting.
Declarations of Interest
Members are invited to declare any personal or disclosable pecuniary interests, including the nature and extent of such interests; they may have in any items to be considered at this meeting;
Members and officers were invited to declare any interests in the items of business to be considered during the course of the meeting, but there were none made.
Members of the public may wish to note that the Council’s meeting rooms are accessible by wheelchairs and have a loop induction hearing system
MEMBERS ARE REQUESTED TO SIGN THE ATTENDANCE REGISTER
THIS AGENDA HAS BEEN PRINTED ON ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY PAPER
If you or someone you know would like this publication in a different format, such as large print or a language other than English, please call Darryl White on 01803 861247 or by email at: email@example.com
The Sub-Committee considered a report that sought to determine an application for a new premises licence at Bearz Bar, The Kidz & Co, Island Street, Salcombe.
The Licensing Specialist introduced the report and outlined the details of the application (as stated in the application form at Appendix A of the presented agenda report).
In addition, the Licensing Specialist specifically outlined the amendments that were illustrated at Appendix B of the presented agenda report that had been agreed between the applicant and the Police and Members noted the restrictions that had been placed on the capacity for both the Ground Floor and First Floor of the premises.
Finally, the Licensing Specialist highlighted that the application had been subject to a number of representations that had been raised both in objection and support to the proposals. These representations were outlined at Appendix C of the presented agenda report and had been circulated to Sub Committee Members in advance of this meeting.
1. Address by the Applicant
In her address, the applicant made specific reference to:-
- her intention to respond to a number of the objections raised in her follow up submission. In attempting to do everything possible to mitigate against the concerns that had been raised, the applicant stated that this was reflected in the number of amendments and additional conditions that she had agreed following discussions with representatives from the Council, the Police and the Fire Authority;
- the premises were now fully insulated and the applicant informed that it was her wish to maximise the use of the building that she was leasing;
- the business plan was modelled on the premises being a good quality restaurant that served alcohol, with background music (on occasion live music) being played; and
- there being an unfortunate number of misconceptions associated with the application.
2. Address by the Supporters
At this point, the supporters were invited to make their submissions to the meeting. In so doing, the following points were raised:-
- The application (as revised) clearly demonstrated that the four licensing objectives had been met;
- The business was not targeting young people drinking alcohol and the supporters were of the view that the business had the potential to be very successful; and
- It was noted that Temporary Events had previously been held on site and these had been well received and had taken place without any trouble.
3. Address by the Objectors
The objectors each addressed the Sub-Committee and raised the following concerns:-
- Serious reservations over the noise implications on neighbouring properties were highlighted. In particular, the objectors questioned the effectiveness of the sound proofing measures that had been installed, particularly on those occasions when live music was playing;
- With regard to the Temporary Events that had been raised, the representatives felt that these were outside of the peak summer season and, such was the difference at that time of year, that it was difficult to draw comparisons;
- The potential for additional litter and ... view the full minutes text for item 112/17