Venue: Council Chamber - Follaton House. View directions
Contact: Amelia Boulter - Senior Case Manager Democratic Services 01822 813651
To approve as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 9 November 2022;
The minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 9 November 2022 were confirmed as a correct record by the Committee.
Declarations of Interest
In accordance with the Code of Conduct, Members are invited to declare any Disclosable Pecuniary Interests, Other Registerable Interests and Non-Registerable Interests including the nature and extent of such interests they may have in any items to be considered at this meeting;
Members and officers were invited to declare any interests in the items of business to be considered and the following were made:
Cllr B Taylor declared an Other Registerable Interest in application 6(a), (b), (c) and (d) (minutes DM.46/22 (a), (b), (c) and (d) below refer) because he is a member of South Devon AONB Partnership Committee. The Member remained in the meeting and took part in the debate and vote thereon.
The Chairman to advise the Committee on any requests received from members of the public to address the meeting;
The Chairman noted the list of members of the public, Town and Parish Council representatives, and Ward Members who had registered their wish to speak at the meeting.
Planning Applications PDF 402 KB
To see Letters of Representation and further supplementary information relating to any of the Applications on the agenda, please select the following link and enter the relevant Planning Reference number: http://apps.southhams.gov.uk/PlanningSearchMVC/
The Committee considered the details of the planning applications prepared by the Planning Case Officers as presented in the agenda papers, and considered also the comments of Town and Parish Councils, together with other representations received, which were listed within the presented agenda reports, and RESOLVED that:
6a) 4774/21/FUL Burgh Island Hotel", Burgh Island, Bigbury On Sea.
Parish - Bigbury
Development: READVERTISEMENT (Revised plans) Extension and refurbishment to Hotel and associated buildings together with the development of new staff accommodation, extension to Pilchard Inn, extension to Bay View Café and site wide landscape and biodiversity enhancements.
Case Officer Update: The Case Officer reported that an additional letter of representation had been received from the freehold cottage adjacent to the Pilchard Inn, they raised concerns on access to the beach, emptying of and access to the sceptic tank, the proposed building, tidal surges and rooftop seating which will overlook into the cottage.
A question was raised on the number of applications and why they were not being looked at separately. The Officer reported that Members will have to determine the application before them because the applicant has chosen to present the application this way.
The Officer highlighted that there was a proposal to build on the car park to provide for staff accommodation and that aspect was removed and no longer forms part of the application. The applicant has purchased Korniloff to be used as proposed staff accommodation.
The Officer then gave an overview of the developments on the island, which included the extension to the Pilchard Inn, west wing extension to the hotel, staff accommodation under the tennis court, Fisherman’s Gardens, proposed tearoom, extension to the Nettleford Bar, realignment of footpath towards the Mermaid Pool and the improvements to Chirgwin. The Officer reported that many discussions took place at pre-app stage and a Design Review Panel appointed to overlook this application.
In response to questions raised, the Officer reported that:
· With regard to the overlooking into the neighbouring cottage from the Pilchard Inn, people can currently stand and not concerned that will be worse than already is, however there was a potential for a loss of amenity;
· The Design Review Panel consists of selection of SW based designers and architects. They are independent and look at the proposals, visit the site and feedback their comments. These comments are included on the website;
· The Environment Agency (EA) raised a concern about the building and proximity to the sea wall and whether the building could withstand sea surges. The applicant commissioned drainage experts and following discussion with EA, EA have withdrawn their objections subject to 2 conditions which asks for details to be supplied before commencement of work in this area;
· The basement under the staff accommodation will be plant room necessary for the solar heating;
· The proposal to move the footpath would be a separate application looked at by Public Rights of Way at Devon County Council. Also could be an application to South Hams and will form ... view the full minutes text for item DM.46/22
Planning Appeals Update PDF 12 KB
Members noted the list of appeals as outlined in the presented agenda report.
Update on Undetermined Major Applications PDF 155 KB
Members noted the update on undetermined major applications as outlined in the presented agenda report.